Bamboo is quickly coming to the forefront as being the “Greenest” of Green choices for cloth diapering. It is extremely soft, absorbent and very breathable so it’s great for keeping your baby cool, dry and comfortable in hot weather.
It is often combined with cotton or polyester in diapers to retain longevity and a little stretch for a more trim fitting diaper, especially in prefolds.
Bamboo fleece is a super-soft material made from bamboo. It has a very soft pile that fluffs beautifully when washed and is usually smooth and silky on the other. It can also be made into knits, velour and woven fabric as well.
Bamboo has so many qualities some consider it almost a ‘miracle’ plant! Not only does it have seemingly endless benefits for the earth, but is a very easy crop to grow and harvest.
A FEW of the benefits of bamboo are:
- It is a great material for cloth diapering as it wicks moisture away from the skin quickly.
- Highly absorbent: Up to 60% more absorbent than cotton AND can hold up to 3 times its weight in water.
- Has great insulating properties, cool in the Summer, warm in the Winter.
- Offers UV protection from Ultra-Violet rays.
- Bamboo (natural) is hypoallergenic: It does not cause any allergic reactions.
- It is still super-soft after numerous washings.
- A sustainable natural resource.
- Super-fast growth rate (has been measured at growing over 39″ in a 24 hour period)
- A truly organic plant as it has no pests OR diseases. It requires NO pesticides OR fertilizers
- Considered HIGHLY renewable as its deciduous nature feeds the very soil it grows in making artificial fertilization unnecessary.
- It has a very short growth cycle (less than 4 years).
- Bamboo is a better carbon dioxide filter than trees. It absorbs 40% MORE carbon dioxide than trees.
- The strong root system of bamboo controls soil erosion.
With all of these properties and more, it is no wonder that Bamboo is the in demand product for hyenas! (Those of us who stalk diaper sites in search of the most hard to find item for the moment).